Sunday, February 22, 2009

Liveblogging the Most Watched Video On YouTube.

Did you know that this is the most watched video on YouTube OF ALL TIME.  


I guess it's a safely nonoffensive high energy piece that could be forwarded from cubicle to cubicle.  It's low risk. Watching this in a group setting would be the most uncomfortable thing I could imagine. I don't actually laugh out loud at a lot of stuff I find funny but sometimes I'll force it a little around other people so I don't seem strange and humorless.  But something like this, which actually offers little entertainment and conjures no emotion beyond mild bemusement and a strange new insight in the psyche of the modern, technologically connected citizen, would be too difficult to fake a reaction to.

The audience loves him. Watch their reactions. I imagine they are sitting on metal folding chairs in a high school gym.  This man turned a few personality traits into an attempted CAREER.  He's the guy who knows the technical steps to all the briefly popular dance moves in recent pop culture, and he has realized that as long as he has that in his arsenal, he will always be able to generate some kind of attention for himself.  And has he ever! THEY LOVE HIM. Oh you should hear them react to favorites like The Robot and The Worm.  SQUEALS of delight.  Excited intakes of breath.  Clapping with childlike amusement.  Less popular dances are met with murmurings of applause.

What really doesn't make any sense is that he includes as part of "evolution of dance" stuff that shouldn't be in there at all... like the Oompa Loompa dance, which didn't evolve from a disco thrust as suggested, nor did it eventually morph into a Partridge family like variety show arm move, WHICH I am SURE, much LIKE the oompa loompa dance, was never actually a dance trend.

OK i hadn't watched the whole thing but now I admit I laughed when he did "jump on it"

mainly because that's my favorite dance ever and I wish more than anything I could see a video of my 12 year old self dancing so intently and concentrating on not falling out of step, fine beads of sweat beginning to form around my nose and fogging up my glasses,  strobe light illuminating the cat hairs that cover my Gap t-shirt.  

so, i laughed once.  But he hasn't gotten to the Macarena yet.  I also wonder if he's going to do "Vogue"  

He just did " I get knocked down" by that one band that used to be on VH1 a lot.  But the dance for that was just him falling down a couple of times.  That wasn't a dance, he's just acting out the lyrics.

I read that Janet Jackson loses like 5 pounds by the end of every performance.  This guy is jumping around a lot.  It's short but I bet he burns like 300 cals.  Maybe more like 175 though.

Macarena, check.  I think we're past the chance for Vogue.  I'm surprised. 

He spends a surprising and seemingly disproportionate amount of time on the boy band dance.

The last dance is "Dirt off your shoulders"



No comments: